FROM AWARD NOMINATED BROADWAY STARS:
"I have been fortunate to work with some of Broadway's best stage managers -- those with years of experience running entire productions, who also have a huge heart for their actors. A great stage management team makes an undeniable difference in my ability to do my job well. I am so thrilled and grateful that the Symposium is working to equip our next generation of stage managers with the invaluable knowledge, complex skills, and first-hand experiences to both find success and earn respect in their craft."
- Laura Osnes, two time Tony Award nominatee for Cinderella & Bonnie & Clyde, other credits include: Bandstand, Anything Goes, South Pacific, Grease
"A good stage management team makes all the difference in preparing for a role and maintaining it in a tiring and busy Broadway schedule. Without the trust in them, actors focus is left scattered instead of being able to hone in on the most important thing to us which is exploring our artistic work. They protect us from injury, support our health, help us with countless problems and offer us endless support. They help actors to maintain the quality of the work we open our shows with and are vital in the health of the individual shows' community off and on the stage. The Symposium is an excellent tool for the passing of wisdom to future and developing stage management teams."
- Paul Alexander Nolan, Broadway credits include: Escape from Margaritaville, Bright Star (Drama Desk Nom), Once (Outer Critics Nom), Doctor Zhivago, Jesus Christ Superstar, Chicago
"In my experience, the stage management team sets the tone for the company. In the best of circumstances, they can create an atmosphere which feels safe (onstage and backstage), friendly (encouraging relationships within and between departments), and open (allowing company members to feel creative and taken care of at the same time). Stage managers are so crucial to the overall success and happiness of the group of people who come together each night to create a living piece of art. I think it's a wonderful idea to have a program like The Broadway Stage Management Symposium where people can learn from professionals at the top of their game."
- Carolee Carmello, three time Tony Award nominee for Parade, Lestat & Scandalous, other credits include: Falsettos, Urinetown, Mamma Mia, Finding Neverland, Tuck Everlasting
"Wow! How very lucky to have a program like the Broadway Stage Management Symposium! To be in the same room with the amazing men and women who are the reason Broadway shows look so professional and effortless! To be in the same room with people who can REALLY answers your "who, what, when, where and HOW" questions with accuracy because of their experience. I personally don't know what I would have done without my amazing Stage Management teams. They are invaluable in my work in Theatre.
I am so grateful to them. Listen, ask and learn!!"
- Beth Leavel, Tony & Drama Desk Award winner, The Drowsy Chaperone, other credits include: The Prom, Bandstand, Baby It's You, Elf, Mamma Mia
FROM BROADWAY PRODUCERS & GENERAL MANAGERS:
"If you want to stage manage on Broadway, this is the place to be! Learn about the unique challenges of stage managing on Broadway--from Broadway's best. The symposium is a vital tool in the stage manager's tool kit."
- Lauren Class Schneider, Broadway & Event Producer, Velocity of Autumn, High, Looped and founding member of the Stage Managers Association
"...to offer students an opportunity to connect with and learn from professional Broadway Stage Managers - is so brilliant that you can't help but wonder how it hasn't been done before! No question it will be an incredibly valuable experience for anyone considering a career in the field."
- Jennifer Costello, Producer, Broadway Across America over 40 Broadway productions including: Bullets Over Broadway, Big Fish, Pippin, Jesus Christ Superstar, Porgy & Bess, War Horse, How To Succeed..., Merchant of Venice & Memphis
“With Broadway shows getting increasingly spectacular & technical, stage managers must be prepared to deal with the huge challenges of mounting these shows and meeting the director and designer’s goals. These skills are exactly what Broadway Stage Management Symposium is designed to impart on its attendees”
- Mark Shacket, Broadway General Manager, Foresight Theatrical The Phantom of the Opera, Kinky Boots, Les Miserables, On the Town, Disgraced, Gigi, It Shoulda Been You
"One of the most important things a producer wants from a stage manager is the knowledge that their “pride & joy” (as every producer sees their show) is in the best hands possible. Matt Stern understands this and the nuance of managing his cast, creatives, and producers, providing confidence to all that their environment is safe and ready to make magic in. To young stage managers: this is the guy you want to learn from."
- Staci Levine, Broadway & Tour Producer, Groundswell Theatricals An Evening with Patti LuPone and Mandy Patinkin, The Last Two People on Earth, Stories By Heart
FROM BROADWAY STAGE MANAGERS:
"The Broadway Stage Management Symposium is going to revolutionize the education of young stage managers. The job of the stage manager is completely multi-faceted and ever-changing -- attendees of this seminar are going to learn tips, tools and tricks of the trade from the best professionals in the business. I'm excited and I'm jealous that this wasn't around when I was starting out!"
- Matt DiCarlo, Broadway Stage Manager: The Play That Goes Wrong, The Color Purple, Honeymoon in Vegas, Rock of Ages
“Access to successful working professionals is a must for any serious student of stage management. The Broadway Stage Management Symposium offers opportunities that go beyond the classroom to enhance the learning experience and gives young stage managers the tools they need to succeed! I wish I had access to this kind of event when I was in school. Instead of figuring it out on my own through trial and error, I could have had my questions answered by the working professionals who were where I wanted to be. Invaluable!”
- Linda Marvel, Broadway Stage Manager: Finding Neverland, Side Show, Hands On A Hardbody, Fela!, 33 Variations, The Little Dog Laughed
"I wish something like this had existed when I was finishing up at school"
- Francesca Russell, Broadway Stage Manager Rock of Ages, Everyday Rapture, All About Me, Shining City
"An important event has happened here. Pleased that I could be a little part of it. You're doing a very important thing with this Symposium. I'm proud to and delighted to be a part of it."
- Bonnie Panson, Broadway Stage Manager Anastasia, Gigi, Bring It On!, Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark, Dance of the Vampires, Seussical
OTHER INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS:
“As Stage Managers, we rarely have the opportunity to sit down in a room with so many of our colleagues at one time. This is an incredible opportunity to network, learn from each other, and contribute to the advancement of our industry.”
- Ryan Kirk, CEO, Propared Event and Stage Management Software Company
"I thought the event was fantastic, and I was so happy to be involved. Thank you again for inviting us to join you, and we hope to be involved in future years."
- Emily Harrington, The Broadway Green Alliance